Lincolnshire Historic Houses

Belton House3 miles north-east of Grantham, on A607 An Anglo-Dutch Restoration house designed by William Winde, built between 1685 - 1688. In the 1770s the house was altered by the architect James Wyatt.The Brownlow and Cust families are descendants of an Elizabethan lawyer who bought the estate in 1617. Family portraits are displayed in nearly every room. High quality decorations and furnishings include furniture, wall mirrors, tapestries, oriental porcelain, silver and the remnants of a collection of Old Masters. In the 19th century Belton House was restored, and redecorated, along with 19th century formal gardens, by the last Earl. There is a sunken Italian garden, a Dutch Garden, and a temple. more information
Burghley House1 mile south-east of Stamford, east of A1 One of the finest Elizabethan buildings in England, home of the Cecil family for over 400 years. Built in 1556-87 by Sir William Cecil, later Lord Burghley, who was principal adviser and Lord Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth I. The rooms are around a courtyard in a medieval pattern, few alterations have been made to the exterior. Virtually all the rooms were remodelled by the 5th Earl of Exeter, in the 17th century, who established a collection of art treasures. The 9th Earl added to the collections of paintings, furniture, porcelain and furniture, and commissioned 'Capability' Brown to landscape the park. Set in a 300 acre deer park, with a lake and avenues of trees. more information
Doddington Hall3 miles west of Lincoln, on B1190 Built in 1600 by the Elizabethan architect Robert Smithson for Thomas Tailor. It has never been sold but has passed through four families by marriage, the Tailors, the Husseys, the Delavels and the Jarvises who still live here today. The interior has an Georgian elegance. There is a collection of furniture, textiles, paintings and porcelain collected by the families over the past 400 years.Outside there is extensive parkland, with gardens and a nature trail. more information
Fulbeck Hall11 miles north of Grantham, on A607 Grantham - Lincoln road Fulbeck Hall has been the home of the Fane family for nearly 400 years. Purchased in 1622 by the 1st Earl, his younger son, Francis,constructed the first house. Fulbeck Hall has seen alterations and additions in nearly every generation of the Fane family. The Hall also houses the Arnhem Museum, this commemorates the 1st Airborne Division for whom Fulbeck Hall was HQ in World War II. It has views over the Trent valley, with 11 acres of formal gardens. more information
Grantham HouseIn Grantham, immediately east of St Wulfran's church Originally a country residence but became surrounded by the town of Grantham. Little remains of the medieval building except some windows, most of the building seen dates from the 16th - 18th centuries. The garden front gives the house its architectural distinction. It overlooks Grantham's cathedral-like parish church, St Wulfrans, and has 27 acres of garden. more information
Grimsthorpe Castle4 miles north-west of Bourne, on A151 Colsterworth - Bourne road A magnificent Tudor house started in the Middle Ages, only the tower remains. In 1516 it was owned by Lord Willoughby de Eresby, and his daughter, Katherine, built the core of the house, completed by her second husband, Richard Bertie. In the 1680s the 3rd Earl of Lindsey rebuilt parts of the house. When the 4th Duke died, his sister had parts remodelled in neo-Tudor style. By the 1950s restoration of the interiors were completed. It has one of the best approaches in England, and there are splendid rooms inside,.All surrounded by 3,000 acres of landscaped park with formal gardens. more information
Gunby Hall7 miles west of Skegness, off A158 Gunby Hall was built in 1700 for Sir William Massingberd with a plum coloured brick. The property descended through the female line and in 1944 Gunby Hall was given to the National Trust by the family.In the house is an exhibition of Field Marshall Montgomery- Massingberd's memorabilia. The Hall is reputedly Tennyson's 'haunt of ancient peace' and a there is a copy of the verse at the house, written in his own hand, signed and dated 1849.There are informal gardens surrounding the house. more information
Normanby Hall4 miles north of Scunthorpe, off B1430 A Regency mansion set in parkland. Built in 1825 for Sir Robert Sheffield to replace a 17th century house. His grandson commissioned a large extension in 1906 to house his picture collection. In 1963 Sir Berkeley's son moved to York, and the house and grounds are owned by North Lincolnshire Council. The interiors have been restored and early-19th century furniture has been introduced, with paintings throughout the house and a display of costumes. Set in 350 acres, with a Victorian Walled Kitchen Garden and a Farming Museum. more information
Woolsthorpe Manor7 miles south of Grantham, on B6403, 1 mile west of A1 This small plain limestone manor house was the birthplace of Sir Isaac Newton. In 1661 Isaac Newton left Lincolnshire to continue his studies at Cambridge. In 1665 and 1666 he was forced to return to Woolsthorpe to escape the plague. Here he formulated three great discoveries - differential calculus, the composition of white light and the law of gravitation. The house is a typical early-17th century manor house and have been furnished to reflect the lifestyle of a yeoman family. The apple orchard contains an old apple tree which may be a graft from the famous tree which inspired Newton. more information