Home the internet holiday and travel guide to the UK

  About Guernsey
  Guernsey Main Page
  St Peter Port
  Parks & Gardens
  Attractions
  Castles & Military
  Guernsey Museums
  Guernsey Churches
  Arts and Crafts
  Neolithic Sites
 
  Where To Stay
  Hotels on Guernsey
Fairy Ring
(C)Guernsey Tourist Board
Les Fouaillages 
Les Fouaillages
(C)Guernsey Tourist Board
  Neolithic Sites on Guernsey
   
  Guernsey is renowned for its wealth of Neolithic sites, including defensive earth works, menhirs and passage tombs.  Menhirs are large standing stones and passage tombs or dolmens are stone burial chambers built above ground.   Many of the sites have survived in remarkably good condition.
   
  La Longue Rocque  Le Route de Paysans, St Peter
 

This impressive menhir, measuring 3.5 meters, is the tallest on Guernsey.  Traditional folklore says that the fairies used to use the stone as a cricket bat.  It is also said to increase fertility if touched.   

   
 

Les Creux ès Faies (The Fairy Grotto) Passage Tomb St Peter Port

  This ancient burial site is set on a hillock opposite the island of Lihou on Guernsey's west coast.  The tomb dates to around 3,000 BC and was in use for successive burials until the late Bronze Age, around 1,000 BC.  Two original cap stones of the bottle-shaped tomb survive.  Traditonal folklore states that the tomb was the entrance to fairyland and that every week the night fairies would emerge to play near the Le Trépied passage tomb.
   
  Le Déhus Passage Tomb  Vale
  Le Déhus Passage Tomb, set near Bordeaux Harbour in the parish of the Vale, was excavated in 1837 The tomb dates back to 3,500 BC.  The passage grave is 10 meters long and has a narrow entrance and broad chamber and various side chamber.  A capstone, thought originally to be upright, has a mysterious carving representing a bearded archer with his bow and arrows, known as Le Gardien du Tombeau (the Guardian of the Tomb). 
   
  Les Fouaillages  L'Ancresse, Vale
 

Discovered in 1977, this Neolithic burial chamber stands on the golf course at Ladies Bay to the far north of the island, nearby by are other ancient graves.  Dating back to 4,500 BC this tomb is one of the oldest structures in Europe and decorated pottery was discovered inside the tomb. The grave had a stone platform, cairn, double open chamber and small enclosed chamber. Around 2,500 BC a turf mound with a rectangular chamber was added and the structure was surrounded by a ring of boulders.  

   
  Le Trépied Passage Tomb  St Saviour
  No trace remains of the mound which once covered this bottle-shaped chamber.  Victor Hugo claimed that this site was haunted by the cries of women waiting for their lover, the Devil. From here there are breathtaking views out to sea. 
   
 

La Varde Passage Tomb  Mont Cuet Road, Vale

  This impressive passage tomb was discovered in 1811 during military manoevres and excavated in 1837.  It now stands near the 17th green of L'Ancresse golf course.  The largest surviving mdgalithic structure on Guernsey, the tomb measures 11 metres long by four metres wide.  It was built between 3,000 and 2,500 BC and successive cremations and burials took place here until the late Bronze age, around 1,000 BC.  The bottle-shaped chamber is tall enough to stand inside and has graduating upright stones from front to rear.  The capping stone, which measures five metres long and one metre thick, weighs over 10 tons. 
   
  
Search The Site: search
 
newsletter
Book online with TourUK's
HotelBooker
  TourUK
 About Us
 
Main Page
 
Advertising
 
News  
 
Search
 
Subscribe
 
Submit
 
What's New
Le Trépied
Le Trépied
(C)Guernsey Tourist Board
| TourUK Main Page | Contact TourUK | Disclaimer | Advertising | Newsletter | Privacy | Copyright ©1997-2011