TourUK Main Page   About TourUK    Advertising

Index

Castles in Wales     Castles in England   Castles in Scotland

Castles In Monmouthshire

Chepstow Castle
chepstow

15 miles East of Newport, off M48 Chepstow was of great strategic importance and the castle was one of the first in Britain to be built of stone.Begun in 1068 by one of William the Conqueror's chief lieutenants, William FitzOsbern, Earl of Hereford. It had an excellent site. In the 13th century it passed to the Marshall family who improved the defences. In the Civil War the castle was not able to withstand heavy artillery and once the walls were breached the Royalist garrison realised further resistance was useless. Used as a prison for a time but declined into the ruin it is today. more information

Grosmont Castle
grosmont

12 miles North-West of Monmouth, off B4347 Grosmont Castle once guarded the Golden Valley with Skenfrith Castle and White Castle. Built by Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent, the Earl lost control of his castles on two occasions, and  between 1219 and 1232 a gatehouse and the round towers were added to Grosmont.  After Llywelyn the Great had caused great unrest in Wales, Henry III and his wife came to Grosmont, but the Welsh leader captured the castle and  Henry, his wife and their retinue were forced to flee. more information

Raglan Castle
raglan

7 miles South-West of Monmouth, off A40 Established in around 1070 it passed into the ownership of William ap Thomas, a Welsh knight, and it became a comfortable residence for his family, but during the Wars of the Roses William was executed by the Earl of Warwick. In Civil War the castle was owned by the Earl of Worcester who garrisoned the castle for the King and in 1646 Parliamentarian forces besieged Raglan and was forced to surrender. After the Restoration the Duke of Beaufort ransacked the castle for his home at Badmington. By the 19th century it was a ruin.  more information

White Castle
white

7 miles North-East of Abergavenny off B4521   One of a defensive line in the Welsh Marshes against the threat from Gwent. Built in the 12th century, rebuilt in the 13th century  held by powerful families before passing to the Crown, then to Prince Edward who became Edward I and spent a great deal on defence as the Welsh  were becoming a threat. The castle decayed and by the 16th century it was derelict before being sold to the Duke of Beaufort in 1825. In 1922 the last owner, Sir Henry Mather Jackson, appointed the Government as guardians of the castle.   more information
| TourUK Main Page | Contact TourUK | Disclaimer | Advertising | Newsletter | Privacy | Copyright ©1997-2014